Posted Wednesday, September 16th, 2020
Reasons For A Noisy Garage Door
Do you have a noisy garage door? There are several reasons garage doors begin making noises, but most can be resolved with a garage door tune-up. Your garage door should operate smoothly with no noise at all, but it can squeak, rattle, and pop over time. This isn’t very pleasant to many homeowners. It’s essential to try to find the source of the issue so that it can be repaired, and possibly fix it before more damage happens. Here are some reasons why your garage door is noisy.
- The garage door needs to be lubricated: Lubricating the tracks, hinges, rollers, and springs can help your garage door run smoothly. Make sure to use a spray lubricant that’s designed for garage doors.
- Rollers are worn out: If you hear a grinding sound when you open or close your garage door, the rollers may be worn out. Try lubricating the rollers but if that doesn’t help, then the rollers will need to be replaced.
- Loose hardware: If you hear a rattling, you’ll need to find the source quickly. That’s a sign that something is coming loose and needs to be mended. Take a look at your garage door, and look for any parts that are coming loose. Never attempt to tighten anything attached to your springs, as they’re very dangerous when mishandled. If this is the culprit, have a professional handle it for you.
- Worn out springs: Are you hearing a popping noise when you open or close the garage door? That’s a sign that the torsion springs are wearing out. If you hear this, you need to address this as soon as possible. Do not attempt to fix this. Let us know, and we will take care of this for you.
- Loose chain: A loose chain drive on the garage door opener is one of the most common reasons people experience a noisy garage door. If your garage door uses a chain drive to open and close, it may have come loose and started creating that noise. Pull the disconnect from your door to the motor, run the door manually, and see if the noise goes away. For adjustments to the chain and motor, call Cressy for professional repairs.
Now that you know some of the reasons that may be responsible for your noisy garage door, you can take the next step. Any adjustments should be left to professionals. We are here to help! Contact us and check out our services and schedule an appointment.