Posted Friday, June 10th, 2016
Did you know that the garage door is the largest and heaviest moving object in most homes? It can cause serious injury and even death if damaged or misused.
Cressy Door and Fireplace wants to make sure that you and your loved ones know how to operate your garage door system safely at all times. You truly are “The Key” to Garage Door Safety.
10 things everyone in your household must know about operating a garage door safely. Be sure to review these with everyone in your home, especially your kids.
- The garage door and the garage door opener are not toys. When misused or damaged they can cause serious injury and even death.
- Children should never be allowed to play with or near the garage door or its operating system. Never stand, run or play near any garage door, especially if it is moving. Learn more about garage door safety for children here: https://cressydoor.com/teach-kids-door-safe/
- Adults should not allow children to access the remote controls or the push button controls for your garage door opener systems. Keep them out of reach of children. Mount your push button at least 5 feet off the ground.
- Never stand or walk under a moving garage door. Never try to enter or exit under a moving garage door.
- When opening or closing the garage door, be sure to keep the door in view until the door is fully open or closed. Make sure no adults, children or animals are near or under the door when it is moving.
- Keep fingers and hands away from door sections.
- Keep your garage door properly maintained to keep it operating safely. Annual maintenance by a certified and trained technician is advisable.
- Don’t forget that your garage door opener uses electricity, which can shock or kill if misused. Service on your door opener must be performed when the power is off at the fuse box and is advisable to be done by a professional
- Never attempt to repair a garage door’s springs or cables. These are under extreme tension and the force of a broken spring or cable can cause severe energy and even death.
- If someone has backed into the garage door, it’s important to have that door inspected by a professional as soon as you are able. Even if the door does not appear to be severely damages, it could have been misaligned creating a dangerous environment.
The team at Cressy Door and Fireplace wishes you and your family a safe and happy summer. Give us call. We are at your service.